Interesting upstream docker contribution opportunity related to remote host volume mounts

There's an open docker issue to support host mounted volumes in a remote container[1]. This would allow docker clients on any platform to use host volumes even if the Docker daemon is running remotely in a virtual machine (e.g. OSX, Windows). I think this feature is critical to a seamless local docker development experience. Right now the only usable way to achieve such mounting transparency in OSX and Windows is a boot2docker patch which relies on VirtualBox guest additions. If docker supported transparent remote host mounts out of the box, our source-to-images toolset would be much more compelling for local development on all platforms.

Brad Fitzpatrick and Brandon Philips have been working on implementing a FUSE based solution[2] to this problem which looks extremely promising. If there's anybody on the team who is familiar with FUSE (or any) filesystem drivers and who has an interest in writing docker graph drivers, here's a cool opportunity to contribute to a very important user-facing docker feature which also dovetails nicely with our goals for the source-to-images project.

[1] https://github.com/dotcloud/docker/issues/4023
[2] https://github.com/bradfitz/docker/compare/fuse

--
Dan Mace