Re: [atomic-devel] EC2 PV/HVM AMIs

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014, at 09:56 AM, Andy Grimm wrote:
>>
>> The only  issue with making a paravirtualized atomic image is that we
>> don't currently generate the required grub.conf file as part of our
>> image build.  It would be trivial to do so (the Fedora cloud-base
>> kickstart has code for it that could be reused); it just wasn't a
>> priority.
>
> There's a few more issues here.  One is that EC2 (even HVM images AIUI)
> have a special "hvc0" console.  The current cloud image has that in the
> kernel args for grub1, but not for syslinux.  That way the same binary
> image works both in EC2 and say OpenStack/oVirt/bare libvirt.

Fedora isn't going to stay this way for long, though  They are
intending to register HVM images.  Actually, I do not believe that
hvc0 is the correct console device for HVM images (I will double-check
this), and there is no issue specifying more than one console device.
The most recent RHEL 6 HVM image I registered specified "console=tty0
console=ttyS0 console=hvc0" just to cover all the bases.  I don't know
which of them was right, but I got console output.  :)

> Unfortunately that trick won't work for Atomic, at least for updates,
> because ostree doesn't know about GRUB 1 config files.

ok, fair point.  We do have a little more work to do here.