Re: [atomic-devel] EC2 PV/HVM AMIs

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 02:33:55PM -0400, Andy Grimm wrote:
> Fedora isn't going to stay this way for long, though  They are
> intending to register HVM images.  Actually, I do not believe that
> hvc0 is the correct console device for HVM images (I will double-check
> this), and there is no issue specifying more than one console device.
> The most recent RHEL 6 HVM image I registered specified "console=tty0
> console=ttyS0 console=hvc0" just to cover all the bases.  I don't know
> which of them was right, but I got console output.  :)

There is, or was -- I haven't rechecked -- a bug where specifying
non-existent console devices caused systemd to spawn a getty for them
anyway, and possibly out of control.

Also, when multiple consoles are listed, output goes to them all, but input
comes from the last one. And, only last one is "/dev/console", which means
that programs which open and write to /dev/console (cloud-init, I'm lookin'
at you) are sensitive to the ordering here.

All of this might eventually mean that we need to eventually suck it up and
generate tailored images for each environment -- we'd been wanting to avoid
that, because it saves QA for us _and_ for users.

In any case, consider this a big, waving "help wanted" flag. :)

--
Matthew Miller            mattdm mattdm org             <http://mattdm.org/>
Fedora Project Leader  mattdm fedoraproject org  <http://fedoraproject.org/>