Re: [atomic-devel] Direct LVM by default

On 09/25/2014 11:45 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
On 09/23/2014 10:47 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
On Tue, Sep 23, 2014, at 09:31 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:

I think 3G is enough - the relative installed components dont really
evolve too much, apart from maybe the kernel.
The kernel vmlinuz actually goes in /boot which is 200M of storage, but
modules are in LVM.
this is when i ask the 'are we going to grub2 sometime' question :)

8G disk is considered default/normal in most cloud vendor ecosystems,
and then layer in cloud-utils-growpart to consume whatever disk size is
allocatred to the instance. I wouldnt go too far away from 8G, it at all.
Right, that makes sense.  I'll switch back to 8G.  It looks like we
should
be able to configure cloud-init to point it at the
/dev/mapper/atomicos-docker-data
partition, which I suspect most people will want (instead of expanding
/).
why have a different filesystem for docker, why not leave it in the
tree, and expand the entire root filesystem ?

This is something we requested. We use a completely separate volume to store our images and containers, that way if the host goes down and is unrecoverable, we can nuke it, create a new host and then simply remount the volume and we're back to normal.

This is the pattern we've been using since the start of OpenShift online, and it's worked quite well for us, to the point that it's a best practice that we recommend to our customers running OpenShift Enterprise.

We want to continue this pattern with Atomic.

Thomas