Re: [atomic-devel] Screen in Atomic

On 04/20/2015 12:37 PM, Trevor Jay wrote:
> Yes and no. Sure Atomic's main use will be as cloud host, but why not
> develop your containers on the host you'll ultimately be using? Plus
> Atomic is a very good *as an OS* full stop. I actually prefer
> virtualizing and working with Atomic to the other minimal OS's or even
> real Fedora. I don't think I'll be alone in this, especially when you
> consider the "I use OSX and virtualize Linux" crowd. Once you embrace
> the "everything in a container" model of Atomic, it's a really good
> experience in and of itself.

The main reason is size - if you're deploying quite a lot of the images,
size does start to matter. We should have an Atomic host that's as small
as possible.

That doesn't rule out a separate build for developers or whatever that
uses Atomic/rpm-ostree, but I strongly feel we should have an Atomic
Host image that's as small as possible with the idea that users are
never directly SSH'ing into the image.*

(* Barring troubleshooting.)
--
Joe Brockmeier | Principal Cloud & Storage Analyst
jzb redhat com | http://community.redhat.com/