From: Trevor Jay
Sent: ‎4/‎20/‎2015 9:37 AM
To: Joe Brockmeier
Cc: atomic-devel projectatomic io
Subject: Re: [atomic-devel] Screen in Atomic

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 11:06:53AM -0400, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> Other than personal preference, is there a reason Screen is needed
> rather than tmux?

Not at all. Others have mentioned that some debugging tools haven't made the switch yet. Ignoring that, I'd agree that tmux--being more modern---makes more sense.

> Note - we are currently shipping Fedora with a bunch of packages that                                 > are really unnecessary in practice for anyone using Atomic as it's meant                              > to be used. Short term, this is OK b/c most people using Atomic are                                   > doing so as you are -- long term, that's a severely broken practice.

Yes and no. Sure Atomic's main use will be as cloud host, but why not develop your containers on the host you'll ultimately be using? Plus Atomic is a very good *as an OS* full stop. I actually prefer virtualizing and working with Atomic to the other minimal OS's or even real Fedora. I don't think I'll be alone in this, especially when you consider the "I use OSX and virtualize Linux" crowd. Once you embrace the "everything in a container" model of Atomic, it's a really good experience in and of itself.

_Trevor

--
Sent from my Amiga 500.
(Trevor Jay) Red Hat Product Security