Re: [atomic-devel] [Proposal] Move atomicapp Vagrant box git repo under Project Atomic

On 19 Jun 2015 5:18 am, "James" <purpleidea gmail com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 1:18 PM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:

> > This most closely overlaps
> > https://github.com/projectatomic/adb-atomic-developer-bundle/
> >
> > The kickstart file has a lot of overlap with (but is not exactly the same as) the
> > Vagrant boxes for Fedora 22 (both Base and Atomic), which are configured here:
> > https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/spin-kickstarts.git/tree/
> >
> > Your kickstart configuration could probably be fairly easily written as a Vagrant
> > provisioner on top of either the Cloud Base or Atomic - or on top of OMV.
>
> I too agree with Colin. If someone wants to make a custom spin of a
> box, my vagrant-builder tool does exactly that.
> You can use any of the existing Fedora produced base images as a base.
>
> I've been down the roads to/from vagrant for many years now. It would
> be my recommendation to build on existing work I've done, or to have
> good reasons why not to. I'd rather throw out my work than to
> constantly see people re-invent where it's not needed.

+1 for building official solutions on top of James's work where practical.

While I'm avoiding that for the Kubernetes bootstrapping I'm currently looking at, that's a combination of the way I personally learn things and the fact I'm hoping to eventually get it to a point where it's suitable for linking from the upstream k8s docs (so the fewer dependencies the better).

As I go though, I'm also discovering how many of Vagrant's rough edges OMV helps to handle, so I suggest Project Atomic itself should be more opinionated on ways of working effectively with Vagrant :)

Cheers,
Nick.