Re: [atomic-devel] DBus and rpm-ostree

On 04.03.2015 00:18, Peter wrote:
> Following up on this, I've started work on this based on this proposed
> xml specification doc:
>
> https://gist.github.com/petervo/cd75e374cecefac89bc3
>
> Let me know what you think.
>
> The goal is to have a stateless daemon where the daemon will turn itself
> off after ~30sec of inactivity. However there is a bit of an issue with
> supporting multiple system roots. So currently if a call is made to
> Manager.GetSysroot on a non default path, the daemon will stay alive
> until ~30sec after the last client that made one of those calls exits.

I think this is perfect. I really models exactly what is supposed to be
happening. When a command line rpmostree tool uses an alternative
sysroot, we should stay around at least until that DBus client is gone.

    <method name="Upgrade"></method>
    <method name="Rollback"></method>

For these sorts of operations, one often puts in an in options argument,
of type a{sv} ... to future proof. For example:

  rpm-ostree rollback [OPTION...] - Revert to the previously booted tree
  -r, --reboot          Initiate a reboot after rollback is prepared

  rpm-ostree upgrade [OPTION...] - Perform a system upgrade
  --os=OSNAME           Operate on provided OSNAME
  -r, --reboot          Initiate a reboot after an upgrade is prepared
  --allow-downgrade     Permit deployment of chronologically older trees
  --check-diff          Check for upgrades and print package diff only

How are you planning on implementing these via the API? Some of them
seem to fit naturaly in such an options argument, whereas others are
probably separate method calls (eg: --check-diff), or implemented in the
client (eg: --reboot).

Stef