Re: [atomic-devel] Systemd, containers, and pid=host

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 05:24:40PM +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> So even though I know it's doing containers "wrong", I'd really like
> to be able to swap out vagrant-libvirt VMs for lighter weight Docker
> containers, without needing to make the apps themselves container
> aware (at least not yet)

But this works already, right?  Or I am misunderstanding you in some
way...

As long as you're *not* running with --pid=host, you can simply run
`systemd` in your container and have it start services normally.  You
can use the `fedora/systemd-systemd` container as a base; then
installing any application is simply:

    RUN yum -y install myapp anotherapp
    RUN systemctl enable myapp anotherapp

And you're all set with your "big container" running multiple
services.  There's no requirement to make your applications container
aware in this case.

The problem crops up when you have a use case that requires
--pid=host, in which case systemd blows up.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars redhat com> | larsks @ {freenode,twitter,github}
Cloud Engineering / OpenStack          | http://blog.oddbit.com/