Re: [atomic-devel] Atomic tool + libdoug

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015, at 11:36 AM, Pavel Odvody wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've integrated some portions of libdoug [1] into Atomic CLI, the source
> tree can be found at [2].

Neat!  So...I think it's clear that we need a per-host story for updates
of both images and containers that's higher level than just raw docker.

Something I struggle with though is *where* updates should occur.

The "atomic" command was primarily introduced to fill in for
"super-privileged containers" - these are potentially host specific.

For example, I'm a system administrator running a cluster, but
processes are crashing on one host.  I log in and use "atomic run $distro-tools"
to pull down a tools container with strace/perf etc.

Since /usr/bin/atomic pulled down that image, it should be responsible
for updating it I'd say.

Whereas on the other hand, if I'm deploying containers via Kubernetes
pod descriptions, I'd want to handle management on a higher level.

Probably a server like Pulp that supports promotion and defines
which versions of containers get run by which hosts.  In that world
then, libdoug is used by Pulp.

What do you think?

Another concern I have is that /usr/bin/atomic is really new and I
personally feel we need more tests/design before we add more features,
but that shouldn't block discussion of features or coding either =)