Re: [atomic-devel] Anyone working on using ProjectAtomic for the desktop?

"If you build it, I will come" ;-)

Seriously, though, here's what I'm doing:

I have a Fedora remix intended for digital journalists. The repo is
here: https://bitbucket.org/znmeb/osjourno. Right now, the Fedora 21
and Fedora 22 workstation versions work, but there's no user-friendly
solution for Windows. The alternatives all suck:

1. Native ports of the major tools - this works, but it takes *hours*
to install and there are *dozens* of stop points where the user has to
approve a default setting or decide how to over-ride it. I used to
ship this but withdrew it after wasting an afternoon clicking all
those "OK" buttons.
2. Windows Client Hyper V (Windows 8 and later) running a Fedora
Workstation virtual machine. This is a pain in the ass to set up and
doesn't work for earlier Windows versions.
3. VirtualBox - this works for earlier versions but it's slower than Hyper-V.
4. VMware Workstation - this costs significant dollars and their
support of Fedora guests (and hosts) is poor. Essentially you have to
track the *Arch* community for patches!
5. Boot2Docker and a Fedora Docker image: this is what I'm doing now.
See https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/znmeb/osjourno-rde/. Except for
the VirtualBox component this is the optimum.
6. Vagrant: the configuration file is *Ruby* code - if you don't know
Ruby you can't modify it.
7. Docker machine: this works with Client Hyper-V and is probably
where I'll end up. It's command-line only at the moment but a bit of
PowerShell code would make it as easy to use as a point-and-click.

So yes, I would use it and remix it. But I'm just one person and this
isn't a business - it's a "passion project". I think what you need to
do is be a "startup" - look for product-market fit with actual paying
customers with budgets and deadlines.

--
OSJourno: Robust Power Tools for Digital Journalists
http://www.znmeb.mobi/stories/osjourno-robust-power-tools-for-digital-journalists

Remember, if you're traveling to Bactria, Hump Day is Tuesday and Thursday.