Re: [atomic-devel] Kubernetes in containers

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 11:24 AM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
> Hey, I noticed this PR:
>
> https://github.com/fedora-cloud/Fedora-Dockerfiles/pull/112
>
> What do you guys think about switching to Kubernetes-in-a-container
> by default?  We should likely keep the Kubernetes in the Atomic Host
> available for some time, but how long?

I think ripping out something from the core of Atomic should be done
at the turn of some kind of release milestone for each respective
distro project just because the users generally expect large changes
at that time.

> I know this would affect some of the Ansible and documentation work
> out there.
>
> Another thing directly impacted is release engineering; this needs
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Layered_Docker_Image_Build_Service
> to be built from the distribution.

Just to clarify, you're saying that the Layered Image Build Service
needs to be in place so that the kubernetes container can originate
from the distro producing project (i.e. - Fedora)?

Or were you suggesting something else?

> Because Kubernetes is still highly privileged, it seems likely to me
> that we'd still want releases coordinated with the Atomic Host releases.

+1 - From the Fedora side, I think this is something we'd want to
coordinate with the 2-week cycle being worked on right now.

> What do you guys think?

+1 - I think the Atomic system should be only as large as it needs to
be and anything that can realistically run in a container, should.

-AdamM