Re: [atomic-devel] awesome journald as a fully supported docker log driver got merged.

On 09/14/2015 02:02 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 13 September 2015 at 21:39, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh redhat com> wrote:
>> https://github.com/docker/docker/pull/13707
>>
>> Nice work Nalin Dahyabhai
>>
>> I think we should switch this to the default.  This would give us
>> permanent logs of what is going on within a container.
>> With the current docker logs driver, when the container gets removed
>> from the system, all logging within the container
>> also gets removed.
> Could that potentially lead to better container log integration into
> Cockpit? I'm really appreciating Cockpit as a local container
> management tool during development, but an enhancement I would love to
> see is having the log for the container appear on the container
> details page, rather than having to interpret messages from the main
> system log.
>
> Regards,
> Nick.

Cockpit can either get the logs directly from journald or through the
docker logs API. Of course
it is up to them to implement this.

If we could get journald/systemd running within the container, then we
could also record information
sent to /dev/log (syslog) with the container stream.