Re: [atomic-devel] Smaller fedora & centos images

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016, at 09:40 AM, Tim St. Clair wrote:
Awesome!

Do we have a formal position, or is this still POC?

Still a PoC, but I believe it'd be relatively easy for downstreams to productize.  For
example, we're using librepo[1] which is the same library used by dnf (and rpm-ostree)
that knows how to speak TLS client certificates[2] that Red Hat Enterprise Linux uses
to gate access to content.  And for that matter implements RPM GPG verification the same
way.

In general the micro-yuminst layer will require some maintenance but not that much;
"yum -y install" is 95% of anyone wants to do in Docker images.

Probably the next interesting question is whether the current base images should derive from this.

Anyways, I encourage feedback as issues in
https://github.com/cgwalters/centos-dockerbase-minimal

If there's enough interest, we'll see about importing it into the projectatomic/ github org and
taking next steps like integrating it into the CentOS build processes.

BTW, I set up a Jenkins job for this: https://ci.centos.org/job/atomic-dockerimage-centosmin/

[1] https://github.com/rpm-software-management/librepo
[2] https://github.com/rpm-software-management/libhif/pull/144