Re: [atomic-devel] Smaller fedora & centos images

Awesome!

Do we have a formal position, or is this still POC?

Cheers,
Tim

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 1:30 PM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
...3 weeks later:

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016, at 04:59 PM, Colin Walters wrote:

It does seem viable to create a `centosmin` image that in some cases uses different package builds (e.g. ensuring rpm doesn't pullrelatively close in being min-coreutils + bash + yum.  Some postprocessing on the depchain such as deleting `.py{,c}` files etc. would help.

I realized recently that the work we'd been doing in libhif[1] which is a C library for package management
would allow us to have a minimal "yum -y install" reimplementation[2] using libhif, which would be
good for such a minimal image as then we could drop Python for example.

I spent some of last Friday's plane flight back from the Summit working on it:
https://github.com/cgwalters/centos-dockerbase-minimal

You can try it with:

docker pull docker.io/cgwalters/centosmin

I've only done some basic smoketesting on it.  Compressed it's 28MB, uncompressed 77MB right now.
I estimate it wouldn't be too hard to get within 60MB, but past that things get a bit trickier as we
need to investigate single-binary coreutils, a minimal libcurl build, and in general trimming
out a lot of the duplication in our C libraries like only having openssl and not nss, trimming down
glib2 etc.

I'm curious what people think.  The tradeoff is we now have two base images (per distribution).

[1] https://github.com/rpm-software-management/libhif
[2] https://gitlab.com/cgwalters/micro-yuminst

--
Cheers,