Re: [atomic-devel] docker and docker-latest packages on CentOS Virt SIG

On Tue, May 10, 2016, at 12:06 PM, Erik Swanson (eriswans) wrote:

> The assumption of /usr/bin/docker being a self-contained(-ish) binary guaranteed to be compatible with the running daemon’s socket isn’t entirely uncommon: A quick google search for “-v /usr/bin/docker:” shows ~1670 results, all of which are going to be broken by the eccentric change of making /usr/bin/docker a stub (or a symlink).

Yeah.  The only thing I can think of to keep this working is to build in the logic into the docker binary itself, but that would involve some extreme gymnastics.

It seems we'd have to end up detecting whether or not we're inside a container...which is a tricky topic.

In the end, this model *will* be broken anyways when we move to using dynamic linking/shared libraries for golang.  Which we have to do because as more things use it, the space (and page cache) inefficiency starts to rise significantly.

> (Is there a more appropriate venue for this concern/appeal?)

This is the correct place I think.