Re: [atomic-devel] CentOS Atomic Host schedule

On 16/11/16 23:46, Mark Dyer wrote:
> We're already on an older version of CentOS and since we are container
> based I'm trying to get us onto Atomic.
>

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 3:44 PM, Jason Brooks <jbrooks redhat com
> <mailto:jbrooks redhat com>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Mark Dyer <mark markyshouse com
>     <mailto:mark markyshouse com>> wrote:
>     > It makes sense. Thanks.
>     >
>     > Is there a list anywhere of Atomic success stories? I'm getting a little
>     > push back along the lines of "it is too bleeding edge." Doesn't look like it
>     > will be a show stopper for us, but if I could point to successful
>     > deployments my life will be a little bit easier.
>     >
>     > In any case thanks for getting back to me and also thanks again to Jason
>     > Brooks who contacted me directly.
>
>     Ah, I forgot to include the list in those replies -- we don't have a
>     list of user stories that I'm aware of, that would be good to have for
>     sure.
>
>     Red Hat sells a RHEL Atomic Host product, and those product folks
>     would likely have more information of the sort you're after.
>
>     Also, everything you can do with an atomic host, you can do with a
>     regular centos or fedora host, just without the atomic system update
>     mechanism, so you could start in one place and fairly easily
>     transition to another.
>
>     Jason
>
>     >
>     > Cheers,
>     >
>     > Mark
>     >
>     >
>     > On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 3:05 PM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org
>     <mailto:walters verbum org>> wrote:
>     >>
>     >> Hi Mark,
>     >>
>     >> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016, at 08:27 PM, Mark Dyer wrote:
>     >>
>     >> I'm trying to justify moving our CentOS 6.6 based product to
>     Atomic Host.
>     >>
>     >> It looks like Atomic Host on CentOS is currently still in 'alpha'.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> There are two CentOS streams:
>     >>
>     >>  - Core: A rebuild of "upstream" EL7 Atomic Host, just like how
>     "CentOS"
>     >> is a rebuild of EL7
>     >>  - Alpha:
>     https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Atomic/Devel
>     <https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Atomic/Devel>  Where
>     >> we do development before things land in Core
>     >>
>     >> Does that make sense?  As far as I'm aware the CentOS community
>     treats
>     >> the Core Atomic Host build is the same as CentOS core as far as
>     >> production.
>     >>
> [...]

The other thing that is worth noting is that the actual content on the
CentOS Atomic Host is identical to the CentOS Linux payload ( by way of
kernel, glibc, container tech stack etc ). What is different is how you
deploy it, manage it and lifecycle it.

Regards

--
Karanbir Singh