Re: [atomic-devel] projectatomic kubernetes container images

On 11/22/2016 04:25 PM, Jason Brooks wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh redhat com> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/22/2016 02:59 PM, Jason Brooks wrote:
>>> I'd like to start a projectatomic repo for fedora/centos kube
>>> dockerfiles, and I'd like to build them under the projectatomic docker
>>> hub namespace.
>>>
>>> This is my test repo: https://github.com/jasonbrooks/k8s-images. I
>>> have branches for centos and for f25, and I've built docker images
>>> associated with these in my dockerhub namespace:
>>> https://hub.docker.com/r/jasonbrooks/.
>>>
>>> These docker files are based on the ones in CentOS-Dockerfiles,
>>> (https://github.com/CentOS/CentOS-Dockerfiles/tree/master/kubernetes).
>>> Fedora-dockerfiles is sort of in flux right now, so it seems that
>>> projectatomic ought to be a good place to collab on these / build /
>>> distribute these.
>>>
>>> The fedora versions of the files are pulling kube 1.4.5 from
>>> updates-testing. The centos versions are pulling an el7 build of those
>>> same packages from my copr
>>> (https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/jasonbrooks/kubernetes/). I'm
>>> going to work on getting these into the centos build system.
>>>
>>> Jason
>>>
>> Are these system containers?  We currently have a repo for these type of
>> Dockerfiles.
>>
>> https://github.com/projectatomic/atomic-system-containers
> These are regular containers at this point
Interesting question of whether some of them should be.  I think we
should look at combining them into this
containers pool and perhaps renaming them to just system-containers or
containers.  Rather then just
throwing more repos all over Atomic.  The current goals with system
containers is to be able to run apps
on an atomic host.  These apps usually extend the host system.  For
example we want to be able to remove
etcd, flanneld, docker and k8s from atomic host and have them only run
in containers.  Since we want
well defined ordering we want to let systemd control the setup of these
containers.  They use runc out of
a systemd unit file.   Some of  your containers could probably be
extended to do the same thing rather then
just running them as docker containers.  But the framework should be
able to support running these containers
in either way.