Re: [atomic-devel] We have a bugzilla requesting that we change the default CMD to systemd for base images in RHEL

Today, systemd is included with our 7.2 and newer base images. We are putting the finishing touches on the work Colin started earlier this year and plan to release a new, minimal base image. I've been toying with the name rhel7-core, but that name sucks and will likely change. Since the new minimal image will contain a minimal package manager, I don't want to promote this one to be something like "rhel7", and change the current base image to "rhel7-systemd", or other. That would be too disruptive IMO.

I don't see changing the default CMD to start systemd as being problematic, but I don't see it as very advantageous either. It's trivial to add CMD ["/sbin/init"] to dockerfile to use systemd, and **nothing** breaks for anyone. I'm leaning towards the opt-in model versus opt-out. Anyone want to convince me otherwise? :)

Cheers,

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 6:34 AM, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh redhat com> wrote:

On 10/25/2016 04:30 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 10/25/2016 12:14 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> On 10/25/2016 12:02 PM, Jeremy Eder wrote:
>>> When you "docker pull golang", the image is over 600MB (and it's built
>>> on alpine).
>>> Same with docker pull java...also > 600MB.
>>>
>>> docker pull alpine is not apples:apples.  If you're pulling alpine it's
>>> because you're about to shove in a ton of other stuff.
>> Yah, I'm less concerned about the exact size as I am with the dependency
>> graph.  Currently systemd pulls in a LOT of random stuff, any of which
>> requires various security updates.  There's also the effect on startup
>> time for calling a container which is running a websocket-activated app,
>> or a desktop app.
> You know, though: if we're just changing the default CMD, and NOT what
> we include in the base image, then it really doesn't break anything.
> Everyone who builds a container overrides the default CMD.

Right the problem is changing the default STOPCMD.

--

Ben Breard
Sr Technology Product Manager - Linux Containers