Re: [atomic-devel] docker-latest in Fedora

On Jan 13, 2017 4:09 PM, "Dusty Mabe" <dusty dustymabe com> wrote:

On 01/13/2017 09:45 AM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> On 01/13/2017 08:38 AM, Antonio Murdaca wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Seems like no people are really using docker-latest in Fedora. I
>> realized that because the version in F25 is old and nobody adds karma
>> to the updates in bodhi there. Is there any real user of docker-latest
>> in Fedora? Just asking because it's a maintenance cost to always
>> rebuild that as well (even if I automated it a bit). To my knowledge,
>> openshift guys aren't really using it either. Should we spread the
>> voice about it? What do you think?
>
> The only time to care about it, would be when docker is way behind
> docker-latest.  For example docker-1.10 versus docker-latest-1.12.
>
> I would hope with system containers we could start to get away from
> docker-latest, It would probably be more effective to ship a system
> container that openshift could use in Rawhide and then support that then
> continue with docker-latest.  Then we would just ship the current docker
> for a run of fedora.  Updating the docker system container as OpenShift
> needs change.
>
> The way I see it, docker-1.12 shipped with Fedora 25, we would never
> update it except for minor release.  docker-1.12.6 for example.  But if
> docker-1.13 ships, then we just package that for Rawhide and make a
> rawhide system container available with it.  If users want to run
> docker-1.13 they would need to run it in a system container.
>
> This would get us experience in handling of system containers.

Yeah, I think that can be the approach down the line.

Antonio, for now until we get system containers fully worked out
can just make docker-latest require docker-current and symlink to
docker-current? We can batch the

That sounds good. However, I didn't fully understand how to achieve that. Do you mean that docker-latest shouldn't build docker-latest anymore but just require "docker" and make a symlink out of it?

updates together and have them be the
same version. which shouldn't be too much of a maintenance burden
because the docker-latest rpm would never change anything other than
version #.

This would allow us to "revive" docker-latest in the future if we
changed our minds and we can revisit this strategy for f26.

Thoughts?