Re: [atomic-devel] Need Advice: Container Internals Lab

On 05/15/2017 07:55 AM, Scott McCarty wrote:
> All,
>
>      So, I need some advice. I know that everybody has an opinion on
> this kind of thing, but I really do need some ideas. I am working on
> building some kind of environment that people can download to run the
> Linux Container Internals lab [1] which I built for Red Hat Summit.
> There was tremendous demand to get in and I believe it would make sense
> to create a Fedora/OpenShift Origin all in one to download and run
> through the lab.
>

> My assumptions are:
>
> 1. The CDK 3 Beta doesn't have enough disk space and also requires
> vagrant or some other madness which many may not be comfortable with

CDK 3 (based on minishift) does not need vagrant, but i'm not sure it fits
your needs either.

> 2. I need about 12 GB of data for the JBoss images and rhel-tools container
> 3. I am apprehensive to pull down official RHEL images and run them on
> Fedora, but not sure what to do for an upstream version. I feel like it
> needs to be low barrier to get started

No upstream versions exist?

> 4. The lab material really requires the use of Atomic Host (i.e. all
> containers), Docker and OpenShift.
>

> My question is:
>
> 1. Should I build an all-in-one Fedora/Origin VM in Qcow2 format that
> users can download?

Probably the best approach.

> 2. Can I redistribute a Fedora/Origin image

I don't know if there are any legal implications here. Might be better able to
do it if you don't give it a name with "Fedora" in it, but rather a name like
'container_internals_lab.qcow2' and then describe it as based on Fedora.

> 3. Where would be a good place to distribute this? Dropbox?

I would put it in s3 and share the URL. Pretty much the same as Dropbox I guess.

I would encourage you to make this image "timeless". For the lab we did at
summit someone could theoretically download the qcow2 years from now and still
run through the entire lab. We baked all of the container images we needed as
well as all rpms we needed for 'builds' into the image and also tested it
completely offline.

Also 'virt-sparsify --compress' is your friend.