Re: [atomic-devel] Need Advice: Container Internals Lab

On 05/15/2017 08:28 AM, Dusty Mabe wrote:

On 05/15/2017 07:55 AM, Scott McCarty wrote:
All,

      So, I need some advice. I know that everybody has an opinion on
this kind of thing, but I really do need some ideas. I am working on
building some kind of environment that people can download to run the
Linux Container Internals lab [1] which I built for Red Hat Summit.
There was tremendous demand to get in and I believe it would make sense
to create a Fedora/OpenShift Origin all in one to download and run
through the lab.

My assumptions are:

1. The CDK 3 Beta doesn't have enough disk space and also requires
vagrant or some other madness which many may not be comfortable with
CDK 3 (based on minishift) does not need vagrant, but i'm not sure it fits
your needs either.
This did cross my mind, but I played with it before Summit, and it's just not ready yet. It's too small by default which means chaos having users resize it (if that is even possible). I instantly rejected it as hacky to have the user work on the environment. Also, baking in RPMs, etc as per below, will be tougher...

2. I need about 12 GB of data for the JBoss images and rhel-tools container
3. I am apprehensive to pull down official RHEL images and run them on
Fedora, but not sure what to do for an upstream version. I feel like it
needs to be low barrier to get started
No upstream versions exist?
I am going to research the java images and see if they can meet my needs. I can definitely use the Fedora Tools container image...

4. The lab material really requires the use of Atomic Host (i.e. all
containers), Docker and OpenShift.

My question is:

1. Should I build an all-in-one Fedora/Origin VM in Qcow2 format that
users can download?
Probably the best approach.

2. Can I redistribute a Fedora/Origin image
I don't know if there are any legal implications here. Might be better able to
do it if you don't give it a name with "Fedora" in it, but rather a name like
'container_internals_lab.qcow2' and then describe it as based on Fedora.

3. Where would be a good place to distribute this? Dropbox?
I would put it in s3 and share the URL. Pretty much the same as Dropbox I guess.

I would encourage you to make this image "timeless". For the lab we did at
summit someone could theoretically download the qcow2 years from now and still
run through the entire lab. We baked all of the container images we needed as
well as all rpms we needed for 'builds' into the image and also tested it
completely offline.
Yeah, I really, really like this idea. I need to figure out how to get the RPMs baked in. I am quickly realizing that I need to have a Red Hat downstream version of this lab and an upstream version because the RPMs for the rhel-tools image aren't redistribute-able :-( without breaking the RHEL legal rules.

What did you use to cache the RPMs? Some kind of proxy?

Also 'virt-sparsify --compress' is your friend.

[1]: https://github.com/fatherlinux/container-internals-lab

Best Regards
Scott M

--