Re: [atomic-devel] a better place for system container images?

Colin Walters <walters verbum org> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 6, 2017, at 03:57 AM, Giuseppe Scrivano wrote:
>
>> The goal is to build the images automatically on every PR merged.
>> Occasional builds (maybe daily?) will prevent to miss changes in the
>> base layers or in the installed rpms.
>
> Let's write down these requirements/requests in an issue for Fedora rel-eng to
> get fixed?  We could probably help with that too.
> I'm sure there are other containers that want something like this.

IMHO what is important to have is:

- automatically build the images based on the last development version
- have them all available, no matter the base image used by each

At the moment we have images based both on CentOS and on Fedora, so we
would still not able to host all of them on the Fedora registry.

We are already using the Fedora registry for some of the system
containers and the intention was to add them to the CentOS registry as
well (Docker and CRI-O are host specific, at least for now).
Even if we'll cherry pick more images to the Fedora/CentOS registry, I
think having a common place where users can find all the latest system
containers is still a good idea.

Avoiding these duplicate efforts is probably a much wider discussion, but
something to consider in the long term.

Not sure there is much Fedora rel-eng could do to simplify the
organization of the different images we have.  As I said before, my only
wish for the Fedora registry part is that it would be nice if the
release number is not part of the image.  Could even be a new namespace
that links to the last one:

registry.fedoraproject.org/latest/etcd -> registry.fedoraproject.org/f26/etcd

Giuseppe