Re: [atomic] Cloud init fails to install packages on Atomic Host

There's a lot to like about ignition. We could adopted it, but we couldn't dump cloud-init for the sheer number of users and providers that rely on it.

From my side, I haven't received any requests for ignition. I'd be interested if anyone else has.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 2:29 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm mattdm org> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 05:09:19PM +0000, Matt Micene wrote:
> > So..... is it time to revisit replacing cloud-init with something else?
> > Maybe the CoreOS implementation?
> Are you talking about Ignition?  https://coreos.com/ignition/docs/latest/
> They've moved much earlier into the startup process (operating in
> initramfs) which would be a major step for Atomic.

Maybe also that. But CoreOS does a two-stage thing, with ignition for
the early setup and then their own implementation of cloud-init later
-- this only implements a subset of the cloud-config functionality,
which, honestly, I think is for the best.

--
Matthew Miller            mattdm mattdm org             <http://mattdm.org/>
Fedora Project Leader  mattdm fedoraproject org  <http://fedoraproject.org/>

--

Ben Breard
Sr Technology Product Manager - Linux Containers