Re: [atomic] Advice on backing up an atomic host

Yeah, nothing wrong w/ package layering for things like guest agents. Did you see the new shiny ovirt-guest-agent system containers? https://github.com/projectatomic/atomic-system-containers/

We plan to embed these in our rhev OVAs in the near future. cheers,

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Jason Brooks <jbrooks redhat com> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 4:49 PM, William Brown <wibrown redhat com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-03-14 at 10:36 -0400, Dusty Mabe wrote:
>>
>> On 03/14/2017 02:19 AM, William Brown wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I wanted to know if there is best practice to backup standalone atomic
>> > hosts. I'm running a few in a non-kubernetes setup. Tools like
>> > amanda-client won't install with rpm-ostree pkg-add, so I wanted to know
>> > if there is some advice here. Should I make a container that is
>> > privileged and mounts the host root to expose the backup interface? Or
>> > is there a better suggestion.
>>
>> What version of atomic host are you running? rpm install support has
>> got better recently.
>
> I'm running centos atomic host.
>

>> I just installed amanda-client on my fedora 25 atomic host system.
>> Snipped output below:
>>
>> [root ip-10-0-8-252 ~]# rpm -q rpm-ostree
>> rpm-ostree-2017.2-2.fc25.x86_64
>> [root ip-10-0-8-252 ~]# rpm-ostree install amanda-client
>> Checking out tree 24d4499... done

>> Will download: 75 packages (17.3 MB)
>> Overlaying... done
>> Writing rpmdb... done
>> Writing OSTree commit... done
>> Copying /etc changes: 25 modified, 0 removed, 46 added
>> Transaction complete; bootconfig swap: yes deployment count change: 1
>> Freed objects: 207.6 kB
>> Added:
>>   amanda-3.4.2-1.fc25.x86_64
>>   amanda-client-3.4.2-1.fc25.x86_64
>>   amanda-libs-3.4.2-1.fc25.x86_64

> Ahh that's exciting. That's probably a better long term solution that
> amanda in a container because it's a "host" service.

I just tried it and the same thing works on centos atomic host.

Added:
  amanda-3.3.3-17.el7.x86_64
  amanda-libs-3.3.3-17.el7.x86_64

I prefer this layering approach to rolling my own custom trees. I use
it to run ovirt guest agent on my atomic vms on ovirt.

--

Ben Breard
Sr Technology Product Manager - Linux Containers