Re: [atomic-devel] Consolidating some bits with OpenShift?

On 07/29/2015 10:36 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
Hi,

A while ago I posted about duplicate Ansible and Vagrant work going on:
https://lists.projectatomic.io/projectatomic-archives/atomic-devel/2015-April/msg00027.html

Now, OpenShift is another large project building on top of the same
technologies as Project Atomic, such as Kubernetes.

I recently went through their excellent training guide:
https://github.com/openshift/training

On the topic of this post, most of the heavy lifting is performed by
the OpenShift Ansible code:

https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible/

And I like this code base a lot - it's excellent code.

I know Eric Paris has been doing more work on moving
https://github.com/eparis/kubernetes-ansible
into upstream kubernetes.

How can we share some of this work?  My strawman
here is that openshift-ansible should learn how to deploy
"vanilla" $distro and $distro Atomic Host as well, for
organizations that don't want the PaaS portion but do
want "Kube style" infrastructure.

+1 . This will be useful. I too agrees with the fact that organizations might want to deploy Atomic hosts without the PaaS portion.

Can openshift-ansible pull in any work from the upstream
Kube ansible work?  E.g. via copy/paste with a canonical
upstream in kube?

There's obviously a lot more that could potentially be shared
better with OpenShift beyond just the installer/ansible, but
I think it's a useful starting point.

Any other thoughts here?