Re: [atomic-devel] draft of Every-two-week Fedora Atomic Host change proposal

On 17 June 2015 at 17:34, James <purpleidea gmail com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 2:33 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan gmail com> wrote:
>> 1. What would need to go in a Vagrantfile to automatically get the
>> latest Fedora Atomic release?
> Oh-My-Vagrant supports this, although the patch for Atomic is pending
> a fully correct vagrant box.
> The feature is called 'update:'.

Unfortunately, I tried using Oh My Vagrant as a way of learning
Vagrant and I found that that wasn't currently a viable option, at
least for me - as a complete novice, I wasn't able to do anything
other than copy your example configurations verbatim.

Now that I've started to learn more about writing my own Vagrantfiles,
I'm beginning to understand that the fields in the OMV YAML file
correspond to attribute names in the standard Vagrant config objects,
but that wasn't at all clear when I first started. (I'm not sure what
the easiest path to fixing that is either, or I'd have sent you a
patch by now. One possibility might be to link the YAML field docs
back to the reference docs for the corresponding Vagrant config
attribute, and explicitly state somewhere early in the OMV docs that
the names correspond wherever possible)

That question aside, regardless of the reasons someone has chosen not
to use OMV (whether they're beginners like me that bounced off the
work-in-progress documentation, or veterans that are happy with their
existing setup), we'll need an answer for automatically updated boxes
that works for folks that are writing their own Vagrantfiles directly.

I see at least two reasonable answers here:

* a stable box name that gets published and updated on Atlas (as the
CentOS folks have done with "centos/7")
* a stable box URL that gets updated on a Fedora controlled site (as
you do for Oh My Vagrant)

For example, a name like "fedora-atomic-latest" would indicate that
it's an automatically updated rolling release, rather than a
periodically versioned stable update.

Regards,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   ncoghlan gmail com   |   Brisbane, Australia