Re: [atomic-devel] Need Advice: Container Internals Lab

On 05/15/2017 08:59 AM, Scott McCarty wrote:

> On 05/15/2017 08:28 AM, Dusty Mabe wrote:
>>
>> I would encourage you to make this image "timeless". For the lab we did at
>> summit someone could theoretically download the qcow2 years from now and still
>> run through the entire lab. We baked all of the container images we needed as
>> well as all rpms we needed for 'builds' into the image and also tested it
>> completely offline.
> Yeah, I really, really like this idea. I need to figure out how to get
> the RPMs baked in. I am quickly realizing that I need to have a Red Hat
> downstream version of this lab and an upstream version because the RPMs
> for the rhel-tools image aren't redistribute-able :-( without breaking
> the RHEL legal rules.
>
> What did you use to cache the RPMs? Some kind of proxy?

I initially set up a squid proxy and ran through the entire lab with the
container builds pointing to the squid proxy. Then I just used the logs
from the squid proxy to grab the NVRA of the rpms we needed and then used
yumdownloader (or dnf download in your case) to get them.

I wouldn't bother trying to pull the actual rpms out of the squid proxy
cache. It's in some format that is optimized for fast access and not trivial
to get the actual files back out of it.