Re: [atomic-devel] Containerization and Atomic

On 09/15/2017 04:58 AM, Eliska Slobodova wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My team [1] has been containerizing new services and our goal is to not only provide more content in containers, but also provide an easy way to test them and resolve open questions that pop up along the way (configuration, orchestration-specific issues...).
> We'd like to start participate more in the Atomic WG where it makes sense, so I have a few questions for start.

yay!

> * Is the Atomic WG interested in additional content/images?

Absolutely!

> * Do you have something like a content plan or wish list at least?

We don't exactly, but we do have a bunch of tickets we created a while back
with the idea that would we take examples from Fedora Dockerfiles and make
them legitimate container images.

https://pagure.io/atomic-wg/issues?status=Open&tags=containers

> With our images, we're also aiming OpenShift, so it could make sense for us to take on anything that would make deployment on AH and kubernetes as easy as possible.

Having images that can run in OpenShift/Kube or without an orchestration
engine (i.e. plain docker or runc or whatever) would be nice.

> * How much do you care about images being "modular" [2]?

I think we don't have a preference at this time on that. I don't really
care if the images follow the traditional model or are based on modules,
just that a user can easily choose. I'd prefer to not have confusion by having
*both*, though. i.e. I'd rather have an application (i.e. httpd) only be
offered as traditional or modular, but probably not both.

> * Who can I bug with documentation? Along creating images, we're trying to standardize some processes so we produce lots of documents. I've started updating CBP [3] where we'll be adding these. However, I think the document already obsoletes some parts of the projectatomic.io/docs <http://projectatomic.io/docs> site..

I think Josh Berkus is the best person for this at the moment.