Re: [atomic-devel] Switching the default log driver to journald?

On 10/09/2015 05:16 AM, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> On 10/08/2015 02:30 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was chatting with someone running Atomic Host whose / partition had filled up due to a container logging going out of control.
>>
>> Since 1.7 docker has supported:
>>
>> https://docs.docker.com/reference/logging/journald/
>>
>> And journald supports log file rotation based on disk space.  Any objections to just doing this by default?
>>
>> The main downside I can see is that your logs won't be automatically migrated, so it could be surprising to people in a release stream.
>>
> No objection to doing this, but we should make some noise before
> switching over and have some kind of warning period before it happens.
>
> (An accompanying "here's how you use this feature" post / documentation
> would also be spiffy.)
>
> Best,
>
> jzb
I was planning on doing this once the docker logs patch shows up in
docker-1.9.  We could cherrypick the journald patch into docker-1.8.
I agree we should make some noice about this when we do it.  It would be
nice to show progress in getting docker and systemd/journald
playing well together.

I second Collins comment on Nalin's work.