Re: [atomic-devel] Screen in Atomic

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 06:31:07PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> [...] while you *can* run `screen` or `tmux` from inside a Docker container,
> it has many flaws, among them that a major point of the tool is to be able
> to run commands on the host - so you need to purely escape. Second, the
> lifecycle of the session is now bound to the docker daemon, which means even
> if you managed to configure it to run commands on the host properly, you
> can't e.g. `yum update docker` as it will kill the `yum` process... [...]

My latest (admitedly hacky) solution to this is to host screen using systemd-nspawn. This makes screen idnependent of the docker daemon. The only problem that remains is that this still leaves me with no real ability to detach and reattach.

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 09:22:03PM +0000, smajor gmail com wrote:
> [...] [H]ow many more packages are needed to truly develop on atomic like
> the post I responded to indicated[?] [...]

I honestly think screen or tmux are the last package. If you give me one or the other of those I can detach and reattach. Then I can host the other and everything else needed for a good dev UX (even X11, not that I want it) in a container.

_Trevor

--
Sent from my Amiga 500.
(Trevor Jay) Red Hat Product Security